On 6 December 2015, the State Government released a package of bushfire planning reforms including the following documents:
- Gazetted Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Amendment Regulations 2015 (LPS Amendment Regulations);
- Gazetted State Planning Policy No. 3.7: Planning in Bushfire Prone Areas (SPP 3.7);
- Guidelines for Planning in Bushfire Prone Areas (the Guidelines),
- Planning Bulletin No 111/2015 Planning in Bushfire Prone Areas; and
- Fact Sheets to assist in understanding the implementation of these reforms.
In short, the effect of these requirements are that any application for a planning proposal (development or subdivision) within a bushfire prone area should be supported by either a Bushfire Hazard Level assessment, BAL Contour Map, BAL assessment or a Bushfire Management Plan, depending on the nature and scale of the proposal.
Visit www.planning.wa.gov.au/bushfire for more information.
Ben Laycock, Planning Officer